Skip to main content

Send Me a Sign Book Review

Title: Send Me a Sign
Author: Tiffany Schmidt
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0802728401

384 pp.

ARC from publisher via Netgalley

I chose this title mostly because it was available on Netgalley when I needed something to read. I didn't know anything about it beforehand and I thought I'd give it chapter or two.

Well, I read the whole thing. It's a good, solid read by debut author Tiffany Schmidt.

Send Me a Sign centers on Mia, a happy, popular girl about to go into her senior year. So when she's diagnosed with leukemia, she's determined to keep her life as normal as possible. Even if that means not telling anyone about her cancer.

All Mia succeeds in doing is alienate her friends, including the one friend she does trust enough to tell, cute boy-next-door Gyver.

There were times when I wanted to throttle Mia, who is so deep in denial that she makes some seriously misguided choices. But I can also understand why she desperately wants to hold onto the illusion of normalcy.

I also wanted to throttle Mia for not being quicker on the uptake about how Gyver feels about her. I mean, seriously, Mia, if you were really looking for signs, you couldn't miss them.

But that just shows that the characters are real and relatable. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoyed A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life by Dana Reinhardt or Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale.

Comments