Skip to main content

Schrodinger's Submission


So I had a think about what I wanted for this blog. I realized that the name I chose for it is the answer. Things about writing, things about being a librarian, these are the subjects that I have something to say about. And when I think I have something worthy to share, I will.

Which brings me to ...

Schrodinger's Submission.

I was talking to a friend about how after a long spell of not making any submissions, I was finally putting myself out there again. And as soon I hit Send, it becomes Schrodinger's Submission.

Most of you are probably familiar with Schrodinger's Cat, the famous thought experiment about quantum mechanics involving a cat, a box, and potential death. The upshot of it is that the poor kitty is both alive and dead on a quantum level. But in the real world, the observer doesn't know which until she opens the box.

When I send out a submission, I feel like that observer. The submission is both accepted and rejected until I open that response email. For the days, weeks, months until I get a response, both the hope of acceptance and the misery of rejection coexist.

Assuming I get a response. If I don't, then I feel like the cat stuck inside. Someone open the damn box already!

I did receive a rejection this week for a project that I had strong expectations of receiving an acceptance. I was duly bummed for a couple of days. But the thing about Schrodinger's Submission is that it can be repeated. 

All I have to do is to hit Send.

Comments