Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo Rides Again

So I took a hiatus there for awhile. Spent some time rewriting a screenplay. Got some fabulous feedback on the YA novel. And now it's November again. Which means ...

NaNoWriMo!

I'm working on the fifth rewrite of the YA novel from last year's NaNo-extravaganza (which will be referred to from now on as YA1), but I decided to plow ahead and start on a new YA novel (which will referred to as YA2). It's an idea that I've been kicking around for awhile and I'm pretty excited about it. Although I have no idea what's going to happen. That's part of the excitement.

There are some cons to working on YA2 while revising YA1. Mixing voice and tone is the biggie. My character in YA2 is younger, but more jaded. I also was going to write YA2 in third person, but it came out as first person. Probably because YA1 is first person and that's what I've gotten used to. This will probably mean a huge tense rewrite in the future. (Has Word developed an Tense Change function yet? Cuz I'd use that. A lot.) But that's the future. I'm concerned about now. Getting those 50,000 words on the page.

And I'm off to a good start. Not a great start. Fell a little short today on the word count. Went to a Starbucks after work and put in a couple of hours. I'll pick up the slack later. After all, I've got 29 days to go.

Comments